November 27, 2012

Race Update - what really happened

I was just reading back through my previous posts and realized I never did a follow-up post on my Race Day Guarantees .  I spent months training for it quitting once and being very discouraged most of the time.  But you know me...I just kept going.

So here's the answers to what I thought would happen and what really did.

1.  I thought I would twist my ankle
Well, I didn't twist my ankle, but I did fracture my hip and end up on crutches for 3 weeks.  The two weeks before the race my hip hurt so bad that I didn't do any running.  On race day, I drugged up on 800 Motrin and energy gel.  I managed to run the entire race except for parts of the last mile and a half, which you will see why below.

2. I will cry.
I did.  I knew I would, but it was just because I had ran through swirling winds that had just come off the lake as water spouts, hail, cold rain, cloud to ground lightening and thunder.  I'm terrified of storms, so the fact that I kept going in that weather through tree lined streets was a miracle upon the miracle of finishing with my hip.

3. I will walk.
I did.  Not for long, but between miles 11-13, when I was cold, soaked, tired and the pain was so intense in my hip I had to walk.  Luckily, the nature of motherhood was against me and every time I started walking, I peed a little. (I love my kids, I love my kids...) My choices were run or pee my pants.  I chose to run.

4.  I will look awful in all pictures.
 Oh my, this was never a truer statement.   I almost didn't write this post strictly for the reason of not wanting to show this picture.  I had known my face would look weird. I had known I wasn't wearing fashionable clothes, but just something to keep me warm. I don't think a winter coat would have kept me warm by the end.  Well, here it is:

Ouch.  It is still painful to look at this picture.

5. I will have regret.
I regret not listening to my body and backing out of the race.  I am so proud of what I accomplished, but I didn't get an official time. (Unofficial time was 2 hours, 22 minutes for 13.1 miles.)  I was in so much pain the days following.  I had been concerned about losing out on my $40 entry fee and instead I had to pay $65 for all doctor's visits, plus the nuisance of not being able to exercise for two months!

6.  There will be a blog post on my experience...

Um...yup. 

Here's the weather report from the day of the race:
Waterspouts and hail

It started out sunny and a bit chilly, but it was 8:00 in the morning.  Then as we ran through the woods, the clouds came rolling in.  We stepped out onto the road that leads to the lake, and saw the lightening out over the lake.  Then the winds picked up.  Have you ever been sand-blasted?!  Luckily, I haven't either, since the rain started before I hit the state park where we ran a loop around the parking lot before heading back out onto the main road for the the last five miles of the race.  It was as I hit the main road, they were announcing that they were calling the race.  I was just into mile 8 and I wanted my medal.  So I channeled my inner Forest and... I was running.  As I ran past tunnel park, the wind picked up, branches were laying across the path that had fallen and the hail kicked in.  It was later realized that the waterspouts were coming on shore at this very park the moment I was running past.  I did mention that I hate storms, right?  At this point I was scared out of my mind!  Shaking, running faster, yet it felt like I was going no where because of the strong winds.  The hail was like bees stings all over my body.  My shirt with the elastic waist had become a belly shirt.  Luckily I had a tank top on underneath.  I was miserable, but just when I thought of quitting, at mile 11, these angels were standing there, in full rain gear, still passing out water; still cheering us on.  They had been there the entire race, the entire storm!  Knowing they had roughed it out with us was what kept me going those last two miles.  I really don't even remember much of the rest of the race.  My only sadness was that the hubs didn't see me run at all.  He couldn't find me in the starting crowd and he was inside the building when I crossed the finish line.  My parent's were out there though and I sprinted to the finish line crying, not because of finishing, but because this brutal storm that came through, a storm that would normally have me hiding in the basement, I had ran through.  At the finish line it had become a slow drizzle.  I conquered more than a race that day.  I didn't let my fears stop me. (Although, I probably should have, now looking back at how severe the weather had been.)

All in all, I have been told I can't run long races anymore without risk of re-fracturing my hip.  Last week, I managed to run two and a half miles without stopping.  It felt like a major accomplishment.  I guess I'll stick to being a volunteer for the River Bank Run instead of training for the 15 miles in May like I had hoped.  Can't say, looking back on the Park2Park, that I'm all that sad about it. I can say I ran a 1/2 marathon.  I don't need to do it again.

1 comment:

  1. I am proud you accomplished somethings others wouldn't try. I know I couldn't. And I hate storms also.

    ReplyDelete