November 27, 2012

"Wood" you want these?!

 I'm wracking my brain on ways to bring in funds.  All over Etsy there are wood crafts galore and while I'm not quite ready to open a shop, I do want to show you what I worked on today... Hoping to get more creative with these and maybe sign up for a few craft shows!

So my neighbor was AWESOME and shared his business' scraps of wood with me.  I am in crafting heaven.  I have so many things I want to make and have all the supplies I need to do it!  Now to find the time... But Sarah!  You don't have a job!  How much time do you need when you stay home all day?!  Well, starting tomorrow I'll be helping at my brother's shop in Holland, so I won't have daytime anymore for crafting...not that I'm complaining!

So here's the few things I managed to bust out this afternoon.  I have vinegar and steel wool soaking for some weathered wood looks tomorrow.

Share the LOVE
Start out with a plain piece of wood
 Then, beat the crap out of it.  I used a hold poke, a sanding tool, a hammer and a wrench
I put a dry stain on it and let it dry for about 15 minutes.  I really rubbed it in good.
 Then paint a heart, add some detail and the word love.  Turned out super cute and will be a nice addition to above the cabinets after Christmas.
 I also made a small plaque using rub-ons and painting the wood a washed out white, so you could still see the grain.
 This Christmas sign is small enough to be an ornament, I painted it black, used a stamp pad with silver ink for the background, added rub-ons and drilled holes for the wire.
 Same idea here, only with a rub-on saying and some hearts and birds.  Then I distressed it, added wire and a ribbon.
 Most of my afternoon was spent gathering supplies and waiting for the wood to dry.  The next time I have some free time, I'm going to paint a lot of pieces so all I'll need to do is grab a piece and start creating!
I'm really looking forward to getting some scraps to make homemade dominoes, and some Americana American flags.  Let me know what you think.  Are these things people would buy for others?!

No comments:

Post a Comment